Use this addendum generator to generate a PDF form that you can attach to a publisher’s agreement for your article, in order to modify the publisher’s agreement so it is consistent with the license granted to Harvard pursuant to a Harvard open-access policy. Further information about use of an addendum and procedures in connection with the open-access policies is available here.
If you are an NIH-funded author and decide to obtain a waiver for the article under a Harvard open-access policy, you must be sure to reserve rights sufficient to comply with the NIH policy when you enter into a publication agreement for the article. For this purpose, you can use an addendum that Harvard has developed to deal specifically with the NIH Public Access Policy.
The addendum generator below is set to produce a simple addendum that will advise a publisher of the Harvard license under a Harvard open-access policy and make the terms of the publisher’s agreement subject to the license. In addition, you may chose to include one or both of the optional paragraphs described below. Note that, while the optional paragraphs expand your rights, they also may increase the risk that a publisher will reject the addendum. In the event a publisher rejects the addendum, you may have to use a more limited addendum or obtain a waiver of Harvard’s license, which would deprive both you and the University of the benefit of that license.
Instructions for Use
- Enter the information requested in the form below and click submit.
- Save the PDF addendum that is generated.
- Print the addendum, and sign and date it.
- Sign and date the publisher’s agreement. Immediately below your signature on the publisher’s form, write: “My agreement is subject to your acceptance of the attached addendum.” This is very important. If you fail to do this, the addendum may be ineffective and you may be bound to the publisher’s agreement without any modifications.
- Make a copy of the publisher’s agreement, your addendum, and your cover letter for your records.
- Staple the three original documents together.
- Mail the three original documents to the publisher.